Blogger Templates

Tuesday 15 November 2011

2b....journal writing experience!

Starting a new job, and having to learn from scratch about pretty much every single detail has been a pretty interesting time for me to write a journal. It ties in nicely with my development at work and just shows me how much I have taken on over this past month or so! I am juggling between working at Apple, doing auditions and also being a key part of our ‘Stage Team’ at work. It has been the most stressful time for me post college as I want to do well in everything I do!

I am performing at the Garrick Theatre next Sunday for an Apple corporate event which I am dead excited about. We are doing ‘All That Jazz’ (obviously...as Chicago has just moved to the Garrick, how could we not?!) in which I am Velma. (Yay! Life long dream!) Whilst in rehearsals for this, I have found journal writing to be very interesting. I am also assisting the choreographer on this, so I get to teach and clean as well as be a part of the final piece.

I has been really rewarding learning from my own mistakes and reflecting on them, and actually enforcing my learns the next day! I mainly used the description and reflection method of writing, which really helped with the teaching and choreographing side of things. I learnt from my experiences with the first couple of days of rehearsal that I needed to be more patient and I got this from writing in my journal that the cast hadn't picked up the routine as quickly as I had expected and that had frustrated me. But on reflection, I realised just because I knew the routine from years before, not everyone would, and I had to break it down and teach it at a slower pace.

I have used most of the 9 ways to write a journal from the reader now; the only one I haven’t tried is the graph. For me, I don’t think this would be effective, as I prefer writing things down. (Although one day I did record myself speak on my phone, that was strange!)
The last one I tried, and the one I am going to talk about most in this blog, is writing from ‘another view’. I was dubious about using this method, but after reading Phil’s blog I decided to give it ago the next night. I decided to write as if I was my iPhone. I chose this because it’s always on me!

I was finding myself with the other methods of reflection, getting similar learns, and reflecting from the same perspective. I was however, amazed at how different I saw my day. I was telling someone else’s story and I think I found it easier to pull out something different, to lets say, the list format. Plus, I was surprised how into it I got!
For future journal writing I will definitely use ‘another view’ for another perspective, but I don’t think I will do it too often as I don’t think it would have as much of an impact as it did for me first time round!

No comments:

Post a Comment