Blogger Templates

Wednesday 7 December 2011

3C - sources of information

3C Sources of Information
My biggest sources of information are:
  1. Google
  2. Friends and word of mouth
  3. Social sites
  4. Notice Boards
  5. Youtube
Google has changed the way that we research and learn in this day and age. I am lucky enough to remember (just!) life before the internet, and appreciate how easy it is to look something up now. When I was at primary school and had to create projects I had to take trips to the library to find the information I needed. It was time consuming and something that didn’t necessarily even come out with the desired knowledge. Now, I can look anything up, and even ask it questions! It’s great when you want to research directors and people who you are auditioning for, as you can get a feel for what they are looking for!
A real benefit to me on my iPhone and iPad is street view that google provides. It is amazing for finding buildings where auditions are, so no more worrying about if I’m going to get lost! 
Friends are an amazing source of information, as it gives you access to other peoples networks. A friend hears that another friend has an audition that would be perfect for you, and then you can take action when they tell you! Friends also have different experiences that they can share, and this is brilliant for learning. So, for example, a friend auditioned at college and said that they sang a Jason Robert-Brown song in front of our MD, which didn’t go down well. I was going to sing a JRB song too, and quickly changed my choice so that I didn’t make the same mistake. They can give you advice as they know you the best. It is a difficult source as well, as a lot can be gossip and isn’t 100% trustworthy!
I use facebook, casting call pro and other sites to keep up to date with auditions and whats is going on in the musical theatre industry. I particularly like ‘The Stage’ as not only has it got auditions, but it has advice and the latest news updates. It has everything that a performer needs, with access to blogs and even to ask a question for ‘John’ in his ‘Dear John’ section! In terms of networking, it now even has a dating section!! (Not something that appeals to me, but talk of being an extroverted networker!) On its forums, it even has links to other sites which may help you. 
On facebook and twitter I follow Debbie O’Brien, who casts Thriller, Starlight Express etc and she frequently posts when the lastest auditions are around. Unfortunately, at the moment, they only want male singers!!
When going to dance classes and the gym I check the notice board to see if there are any updates or opportunities. Often, there are model jobs, or cruise liner open calls, which is great to get audition experience! It makes my network completely open, and gives me the decision whether I want to go or not. It also gives me the opportunity to give back to my network. If I see something that would suit someone else, I am more than happy to pass on the details. This worked well for me and Nick, when he saw a panto audition for females, he passed on the audition times etc and when I saw a tap call for men, I put him forward!
Youtube is my last source of information which I believe changes how I work as a performer. It is hard to imagine what I would have done without it! I always check out the latest show online, and like to listen to soundtracks which I haven’t heard much about before. I think a good example of this is ‘Legally Blonde’. It was out on Broadway way before the West End, and when auditions came round for it, I had already watched pretty much the whole show, so knew a lot of the choreography! It also helped me so much at college with difficult, unknown music that we were expected to learn in a short amount of time. 
Some questions I would like to raise and would love to know your response, are; do you think youtube and the internet has affected our imagination and creativity? Having the tools to see someone else perform something, does it affect how we interpret our art form?
I will blog my opinion on this later, as I am interested to see how other people feel about this! 

2 comments:

  1. Hey Emma,
    Audition boards are something I had completely forgotten about! Since I am not around many studios at the moment, I've not seen one since i was in the UK. Often notices on auditions boards are more local and give more details as to what they are looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emma,
    I agree friends are good at looking out whats best for you as like you say they know you best.I do feel you have to keep on your toes and not relay on friends to much otherwise you could miss out.

    ReplyDelete