Blogger Templates

Monday 14 May 2012

Critical Reflection on Professional Practitioner Inquiry


My line of inquiry focuses on learning styles in the performing arts industry. I began this journey by asking myself some questions for ideas to undertake my inquiry, which I posted on my blog.
It was clear to me I wanted to understand knowledge, confidence and the performer, which when I wrote a mind map (Appendix B) focused on learning styles. I spent some time discussing with people in my professional network what they would find useful, and came to the conclusion knowing about their own learning style in order to help them with audition technique. On reflection, at this point I would have liked to have created a SIG with those I had discussed my inquiry questions with, instead of joining other peoples’ as I feel I would have had more to discuss. 
I really enjoyed researching theories that I could use for my study. I looked back at module 1 and found Kolb’s learning cycle. I also found on my blog VAK learning which Hannah had recommended to me. After researching the two theories I decided these were the theories I would like to concentrate on as I felt I could relate these to industry.

Going to the campus session at Trent Park and discussing with Rosemary and other students about research really made it clear which methods I would like to use. (Appendix D) I hadn’t thought of all the disadvantages each method could have, which our SIG explored. 
We also touched on ethics where I listed my perceived ideas of it on my blog. I then used the module handbook to relate key items mentioned to my enquiry. This was really helpful as I hadn’t considered topics such as protecting my data before. 
After taking this all into consideration I chose to pilot a questionnaire asking participants which were their preferred learning styles, but quickly realised after speaking to another student that without experiencing each style, how could the participants know which style worked best for them? Therefore I decided as part of my study I would like to compare the perception each participant thought their style was with what actually worked for them in an audition style observation. 
I therefore conducted a small scale observation looking into Fleming’s VARK theory and also asked each participant to take the official VARK questionnaire a week before, and at the start of our session.I asked them to do this twice to validate their preferred learning style. I took this idea from Cunliffe (2011) who I analysed as part of my inquiry plan.  I asked my participants for feedback of how the afternoon could have been improved. It was interesting to hear their ideas as I hadn’t realised how powerful a brief to participants can be. I researched how to give a high quality brief and found a helpful checklist which I used to rework my own brief
I am looking forward to continuing with this inquiry process, and hope to create a valid study that other performers can use to improve themselves. 



Appendix B:

No comments:

Post a Comment